Our Staycation - Cooking Across the Country!

Summer Vacation is here! We have 63 days to enjoy a little fun in the sun before returning to our classrooms! So, with lots of free time and a limited budget, we are planning to cook our way across the country!

Saturday, July 12, 2014

M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I

On our way across the 50 states, we need to take a detour and stop in Mississippi.  Before letting my fingers do the walking on the computer, I think there were three things I knew about Mississippi:
a) the capital is Jackson
b) it borders the Gulf of Mexico
c) how to spell it...one of the fun things to learn in grade school! 
Chad knew a little more than me-he knew it was known for being the Magnolia State.

I always envisioned Georgia to be the hospitality state of the south; however, I was wrong.  Two of Mississippi's state's slogans are:  The South's Warmest Welcome, and Mississippi - Feels Like Coming Home.  Those are the nice versions.  After reading further, I found some funny ones:
Mississippi:  Come Feel Better About Your Own State and I'm From Mississippi, Can You Tell Me What My T-shirt Reads?  I might not know what the t-shirt says, however; I do know there is some good home cooking there.  The best part is today's recipe uses one dish and only has 5 ingredients!
It's easy to make plus has very little clean up.

Mississippi Roast:

2-3 pound chuck roast
1 stick of butter
5-7 pepperoncinis
1 packet of Ranch dressing mix
1 packet of brown gravy mix


Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Using a Dutch oven, put the roast in first.

Add a packet of Ranch on top of the roast,

Next, add a packet of brown gravy mix.

Place a stick of butter on top.

Add the pepperoncinis.

Cover with the lid.

 Bake  for 3 hours....that's it!  Such an easy dinner!!!

Remove lid,

Pour over rice,

Dig in!



A Few Notes:
  • This dish can easily be made in a Crock Pot by cooking on low for 8 hours.  Use the same directions as above.
  •  Sometimes I will cook a larger roast, shred the leftovers and make a Mississippi version of the French Dip and serve it on a hoagie.  Just an idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment