Our Staycation - Cooking Across the Country!

Summer Vacation is here! We have 63 days to enjoy a little fun in the sun before returning to our classrooms! So, with lots of free time and a limited budget, we are planning to cook our way across the country!

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Breakfast in Boise (Idaho)

Everyone knows that Idaho is known for potatoes.  Growing up in the Kubat house,  the potato was a staple on our dinner plates.  It was baked, boiled, mashed and even fried... they were always delicious!  What people might not know about Idaho is their state fruit is a huckleberry.  Honestly, I am not sure I have ever had the opportunity to sample one.  I envision it to taste much like a blueberry.   I'll have to check out Harris Teeter on my next trip.
Since potatoes are a must for today's meal, I decided to treat Chad to breakfast in bed.  How does hash brown casserole sound?

Quick and Easy Hash Brown Casserole:

1 bag Simply Potatoes - I use the Southwest blend so I don't have to chop any peppers or add spices
8 oz. of sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup cheddar cheese - grated
1 small onion - chopped
1/2 stick butter - melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 pan.  In a large mixing bowl, add the sour cream,

Cream of chicken,

Onions,

Butter,

Mix until creamy.

Add the hash browns,

Cheese,

Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.

Spread in baking dish.

Bake for about an hour or until top is golden brown and edges are crispy!


I scrambled some eggs, fried some ham, and cut up some watermelon to go with it.  I hope Chad enjoys eating in Idaho!





No comments:

Post a Comment